What is Lupus?
Lupus is one of the types of autoimmune disorder, wherein body’s own immune system attack the tissues causing them to inflamed, swelled and damage. The damage can be to any organs of the body such as skin, kidney, blood, heart, lungs, etc. Lupus is not a contagious disease, nor is it related to any kind of cancer.
It generally develops due to genetic abnormalities or hormonal imbalances in the body. It can range from mild to life threatening conditions and hence should never be ignored.
How prevalent is Lupus?
Lupus or more precisely Systemic Lupus Erythematosus is an auto immune disorder affecting people of all the ages from infancy to old age. Its prevalence is most commonly observed in child bearing years. The susceptibility of the female to the lupus is known to be far more than males. The reported ratio is 4-12 females per 1 male. Researchers have linked up genetic malfunction as the leading cause of the abnormality. Thus people with the family history are at a higher risk of development than others.
On the basis of racial discrimination, it has been observed that Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, American Indians are at a higher risk of its development than whites.
Factors responsible for Lupus
The exact cause of the development of lupus is not known but scientists have strong data suggesting genetic abnormalities, hormonal imbalances and geographical distribution as the leading factors, responsible for its development.
Symptoms Associated with the Lupus
Symptoms of Lupus may vary, but some of the common symptoms may be as follows
- Swelling and pain due to swelling, especially in the weight bearing joints and muscles.
- Repeated attack of fever without any specific cause.
- Red rashes all over the body, but most often on face.
- Pain in the chest area when taking deep breath.
- Hair loss, pale and purple fingers in the toes.
- High sensitivity to the sun.
- Swelling around the eyes or in legs.
- Mouth ulcers, swollen glands and fatigue.
Apart from the above common symptoms, some less commonly observed symptoms are as follows
- Seizures and confusion.
Prognosis associated with the Lupus
Based on the symptoms, doctors may suggest diagnostic tests to diagnose lupus. But as such there are no defined tests, which can confirm lupus. However, some of blood tests, skin biopsy and organ biopsy can be prescribed to get an idea.
What goes wrong in the Lupus?
In general, we are exposed to many viruses and bacteria in our day to day life. However, our body is ready to fight with them and kill them with the help of our integral immune system. Body fights with all the infection by producing white blood cells. These blood cells become very strong in their action when exposed to the same protein or antigen for the second time due to their memory. This memory is created at the time of their production in the thymus region of the human body.
In case of autoimmune diseases, this memory of the white blood cells is very faulty and hence these cells attack the internal self organs of the body; thinking them to be non self.
Thus, due to lupus the immune system malfunctions and cannot differentiate between foreign bacteria and internal organs of the body. Antibodies are thus produced against the self tissues; attacking them slowly and progressively. This in turn contributes to the inflammation, swelling and pain from different organs of the body.
The most common antibodies, damaging organs and tissues circulate in the blood and enter into the cells of the tissues, which are permeable to these antibodies. This is the reason why some organs are affected and some are not.
How Stem Cells treatment may help!
Stem cells are the mother cells that are responsible for developing an entire human body from a tiny two celled embryo; due to their unlimited divisions and strong power to differentiate into all the cells of different lineage. This power of stem cells has been harnessed by the technology to isolate them outside the human body, concentrate in the clean environment and implant back.
Thus, stem cells treatment involves administration of concentrated cells in the targeted area, wherein they can colonize in the damaged area, adapt the properties of resident stem cells and initiate some of the lost functions that have been compromised by the disease or injury.
The different stem cells such as mesenchymal stem cells isolated from different sources of both allogenic as well autologous sources are known to be differentiating into cells of different origin through their transdifferentiation properties. These stem cells are known to possess angiogenic properties to enhance the network of blood vessels. These stem cells are also known to regulate body’s immune system.
Treatment of Lupus at GIOSTAR
We have mastered the technology for isolating maximum number of viable stem cells from either the autologous sources of your own body or allogeneically with the matched donor to treat various patients with Lupus. We are the licensed, private organization with the excellent, well equipped state of the art facility to isolate process and enrich the viable number of stem cells, which can be re infused back into the patient’s body. Generally, these cells are administered through any one of the below mentioned methods depending upon our expert’s advice:
- Local Administration:-Through this mode, cell are infused directly at the targeted site of injury. Thus in case of various organs, stem cells are infused directly at the target through catheter based delivery.
- Sub-Cutaneous Administration: – Stem cells can as well be administered in the fat layer of the skin. They can help regenerating skin cells, promote restructuring of skin tissue.
- Intravenous Administration:- Through this mode, cells are infused through the veins to expand blood volumes in the central nervous system, to ensure that the maximum number of cells are reaching to the targeted area.
Once infused back in the body, these cells can be repopulated at the damaged parts of the organ, through their strong paracrine effects and differentiate into lost or damaged cells to restore back the function. These cells can regulate immune system and help promoting the hormonal balance back.
Thus with our standardized, broad based and holistic approach, it is now possible to obtain noticeable improvements in the patients with the Lupus, in the symptoms as well as their functional abilities.
WHAT SETS US APART
- US Head quartered.
- Founder is leading stem cell scientist credited with setting up the stem cell research labs at top research institutions in US including Salk Research Institute, Sanford-Burnham Institute, UCI, UCSD.
- Medical Advisory Board comprising of luminaries from Harvard, * University of California, San Diego (UCSD), University of California Irvine (UCI), Imperial Collage, London.
- Endorsed by Honourable Prime Minister of India.
- State of the art and only private hospital in India inaugurated by Prime Minister.
- World’s largest stem cell hospital funded by government.
Disclaimer : Results may vary for each patient. GIOSTAR practice the application of stem cell therapy within the legal regulations of each country.