What is Crohn’s Disease?
Crohn’s disease is one of the two forms of chronic inflammatory bowel disorder. As the name suggests, it is formed due to inflammation to the digestive tract lining, which may cause severe abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fatigue, weight loss, etc.
The disease is painful as well as debilitating that may lead to life threatening outcomes sometimes, when the infection is spread into the deep layers of the tissue.
How prevalent is Crohn’s Disease?
With the initial survey, it was being believed that the disease is especially predominant amongst the Caucasians, but its increasing evidences in African American have supported the fact that its worldwide predominance has increased irrespective of the racial discrimination.
The disease has affected almost 400 to 6, 00,000 people in US, whereas 1, 15,000 are being affected in UK. Altogether there are millions of reported cases worldwide. The condition is known to be more common in urban developed area.
The disease can affect people of any age groups, but usually is more common between 10 to 40 years of age. The surveys have more emphasized on women being suffering from the disease more than men.
Factors responsible for Crohn’s Disease
There are many studies ongoing to find out the exact causative factor of the disease. However, so far many genetic link ups have been confirmed for the expression of the disease. Although, lot of environmental factors have also been observed, which are known to be one of the many factors of the disease. Thus, following combination of factors is known to be responsible for:
- The family history
- Abnormal bacterial & viral reaction against an immune system
- Causative environmental factor including viruses, bacteria, diet, smoking, stress or something else in the environment.
Symptoms Associated with the Crohn’s Disease
The disease has symptoms, which range from mild to severe difficulties. These symptoms may worsen gradually. There can be a time, when you have no difficulties at all, known to be a remission period. They may include:
- Diarrhoea: – Diarrhoea is the common problem for the people with the disease. There can be sudden intensified cramps, which can contribute to the loose stools.
- Fever: – Many people may complain about the mild fever always, most likely due to inflammation or infection.
- Abdominal Pain: – The belly of the person may be sore when touched. The pain can often be described as the intermittent cramps, wherein the time period may decrease progressively.
- Weight Loss: – There can be considerable weight loss due to constant abdominal pain and weight loss.
- Anemia: – Some people can experience anemic condition due to major blood loss through frequent stool and inflammation of the inner lining.
Apart from those stated above some people may also experience anal tears; however the condition is not experienced so often.
Prognosis associated with the Crohn’s Disease
The outlook of the disease may be different for different people. It can range from mild to extreme conditions. Sometimes it can be experienced only once in life or sometimes it can be experienced continuously. However, almost 13-20 % of the condition is chronic and severe getting progressively worsens.
Once diagnosed, the disease can even not be cured by surgery, but there are available alternative treatments, which can now be offered to the people to live a normal life span.
What goes wrong in the Crohn’s Disease?
Crohn’s disease is the chronic inflammatory condition of the digestive tract. The primary cause of the disease is an ulceration of the small and large intestine, by affecting the digestive system anywhere between mouth and anus. It is a part of the inflammatory bowel disease.
Researchers believed it to be an autoimmune disorder, wherein body’s own immune system attacks the lining of the intestine. The disease is as well accounted for many other complications such as
- Skin problems
- Inflammation of the eyes
- Thinner and weaker bones
- Liver Inflammation
How Stem Cells treatment may help!
Stem cells are the mother cells that are responsible for developing an entire human body from a tiny two celled embryo; due to their unlimited divisions and strong power to differentiate into all the cells of different lineage. This power of stem cells has been harnessed by the technology to isolate them outside the human body, concentrate in the clean environment and implant back.
Thus, stem cells treatment involves administration of concentrated cells in the targeted area, wherein they can colonize in the damaged area, adapt the properties of resident stem cells and initiate some of the lost functions that have been compromised by the disease or injury.
After years of research, it has been believed that it is better to alter the microenvironment with the application of stem cells instead of suppressing the immune system. Mesenchymal stem cells are known to have angiogenic, transdifferentiation and homing properties, which are useful for forming new blood vessels, differentiating into required targeted cells and creation of microenvironment for the faster secretion of immune cells.
Treatment of Crohn’s Diseases at GIOSTAR
We have mastered the technology for isolating maximum number of viable stem cells from either the autologous sources of your own body or allogeneically with the matched donor to treat various patients with Crohn’s Disease. We are the licensed, private organization with the excellent, well equipped state of the art facility to isolate process and enrich the viable number of stem cells, which can be re infused back into the patient’s body. Generally, these cells are administered through any one of the below mentioned methods depending upon our expert’s advice:
- Local Administration:-Through this mode, cell are infused directly at the targeted site of injury. Thus in case of various organs, stem cells are infused directly at the target through catheter based delivery.
- Intravenous Administration:- Through this mode, cells are infused through the veins to expand blood volumes in the central nervous system, to ensure that the maximum number of cells are reaching to the targeted area.
Once infused back in the body, these cells can be repopulated at the damaged parts of the organ, through their strong paracrine effects and differentiate into lost or damaged cells to restore back the function. These cells can regulate immune system and help promoting the hormonal balance back.
Thus with our standardized, broad based and holistic approach, it is now possible to obtain noticeable improvements in the patients with the Crohn’s disease, in the symptoms as well as their functional abilities.
What Sets Us Apart
- Headquartered in USA.
- The founder is leading stem cell scientist credited with helping in setting up the stem cell research labs at top research institutions in the US including Salk Research Institute, Sanford-Burnham Institute, UCI, UCSD.
- Medical Advisory Board comprising of luminaries who have worked at University of California, San Diego (UCSD), University of California Irvine (UCI), Imperial College, London.
- Endorsed by Honourable Prime Minister of India.
- State of the art and an only private hospital in India inaugurated by Prime Minister.
- World’s Largest Stem Cell Hospital funded by the government of India.
Disclaimer : Results may vary for each patient. GIOSTAR practice the application of stem cell therapy within the legal regulations of each country.